Greenville County, SC, September 29, 2015 – Reedy River Water Quality Group (“RRWQG”) has been awarded a Section 319 Grant to address septic system problems in the Huff Creek watershed. This two-year project was funded by the US EPA through the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control (SC DHEC). The funds will address failing septic systems at homes and businesses to reduce the amount of bacteria in local waters.
The grant pays 60% of cost and the homeowner pays the remaining 40%. Failing septic systems have been identified as a key nonpoint pollution source in the Huff Creek area. This project allows the RRWQG to provide technical assistance to home and business owners with failing septic systems in southern Greenville County.
Nearly one in four households in the United States depends on an individual septic system or a small community cluster system to treat their wastewater. Septic systems, if properly installed and maintained, can protect public health, preserve valuable water resources, and maintain economic vitality in a community. Unfortunately these systems are often installed and largely forgotten – until problems arise. According to the EPA, an estimated 10 to 20 percent of these systems malfunction each year, causing pollution to the environment and creating a risk to public health.
The EPA and SC DHEC have realized the negative impact of septic system failures and have therefore offered grants to assist with these repairs and other pollution sources on a watershed scale. The intent behind the RRWQG grant program is the protection of the water in the Huff Creek watershed. Our top water quality concern in Greenville County is bacteria, and these grant funds will enable us to reduce the pollutant load in our waters. This program allows Greenville County to continue working to keep our waterways clean.
For more information regarding eligibility in the program, contact Kirsten Robertson at 467-2755 x110 or check out our website at https://cleanreedy.org.